Post of Technical Assistant (Full Time) – Contract Basis
UNIVERSITY OF JAFFNA, SRI LANKA
OPERATIONAL TECHNICAL SECRETARIAT (OTS)
WORLD BANK FUNDED ACCELARATING HIGHER EDUCATION EXPANSION AND DEVELOPMENT (AHEAD) OPERATION
POST OF TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (FULL TIME) – ON CONTRACT BASIS – 01
The University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka will entertain applications for the above mentioned post under OTS – AHEAD Operation from suitably qualified persons up to 06.11.2020 .
The Development of the Higher education sector is of central importance to enable Sri Lanka to make the transition from a Lower-Middle Income Country (LMIC) to an Upper Middle-Income Country (UMIC). Recognizing this, the Government of Sri Lanka (GoSL) and the World Bank have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Bank funded Accelerating Higher Education Expansion and Development (AHEAD) operation.
The AHEAD operation is organized in two components. The first is a Program Component that supports the national Higher Education Development Program. The second is a systems strengthening, capacity building and technical assistance component that will assist GoSL to strengthen the higher education sector and achieve the objectives of the AHEAD program component. This second will also cover monitoring and evaluation, policy analyses, program coordination and communication.
The implementing agency is the Ministry of Education (ME). The University Grants Commission (UGC) will coordinate the activities of the universities. There will be an Operations Monitoring and Support Team (OMST) which will coordinate and support all AHEAD activities between the ME, UGC, and the universities. AHEAD has three Results Areas:
- Results Area 1: Increasing Enrollment in Priority Disciplines for Economic Development
- Results Area 2: Improving the Quality of Higher Education
- Results Area 3: Promoting Research, Development and Innovation
Subject to any specific directives given by the Director/OTS in coordination with the OTS office the main duties and responsibilities of the Technical Assistant will be to:
- Assist the OTS Director, Deputy Director/ Procurement, Deputy Director/ Finance and Senior Administrative Officer in overall implementation of Operation activities of Results Area 1 , Results Area 2
- Assist the OTS Director, Deputy Director/ Procurement, Deputy Director/ Finance and Senior Administrative Officer for timely preparing of physical , procurement and financial progress of Results Area 1 , Results Area 2
- Assist the OTS Director, Deputy Director/ Procurement, and Senior Administrative Officer in the procurement activities in the following areas:
- In carrying out procurement of goods, services, works and consultancy services in general, particularly preparation and updating of procurement plans, implementation of procurement process in terms of Government and World Bank guidelines with the approval of the Deputy Director/Procurement.
- Maintaining records, assisting in conducting procurement reviews and furnishing reports as required.
- Preparation and updating of procurement plans
- Assist the OTS Director, Deputy Director/ Finance and Senior Administration Officer in the management of Financial activities, in the following areas:
- Management and utilization of Operation funds released to the OTS, with the approval of the Deputy Director/Finance.
- Maintaining proper financial records for all operation expenses.
- Maintain a good rapport with the OTS officials to assist in procurement and other activities.
- Maintaining an efficient filing system
- Any other duties assigned by the Director/OTS, Deputy Director Procurement , Deputy Director Finance & Senior Administrative Officer.
METHOD OF RECRUITMENT:
- This is a full-time position. Initially the Contract Appointment shall be for a period of 12 months and may be renewed based on performance and need during the Operation period.
- Successful candidate should be able to start work immediately.
- Gross Salary of LKR 42,800.00 PM. In addition EPF 12% and ETF 3% will be paid.
- Payments will be made by OTS Office, upon submission of the monthly progress report based on approval by the OTS Director.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The required qualifications and experience are as follows:
- Should have passed the G.C. E. O/L Examination in 06 subjects with three credit passes including in Sinhala/Tamil, English Language / English Literature and Mathematics.
- Should have passed the G.C. E. A/L Examination with three credit passes including in Accounting & Business Studies.
- Should be a Citizen of Sri Lanka
- Age should be above 18 and below 45 years on the date of closing of application.
PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- High level of proficiency in written and spoken English and Tamil/ Sinhala
- Basic knowledge in Project management, Accounting, Finance and Procurement Activities in accordance with the Higher Education Operations and World Bank Guidelines will be an added qualification.
- High level of IT literacy, especially in the areas of Electronic mailing, Word and Excel for office environment, and Project management platforms.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Sinhala/ Tamil and in English with officials and different stakeholders including local suppliers.
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members.
- Ability to achieve the targets in time align plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates who are interested in the above post should submit their application in the prescribed format available in the University website by email to email@example.com on or before 06.11.2020. When you present for the interview please bring original certificates, educational qualification certificates, Birth certificate, experience certificates and National Identity Card with the signed application from.
INTERVIEW: Date and Time for the interview will be notified to the eligible candidates.
University of Jaffna.